Monday, June 8, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different

I thought it was time for another music post!

A shorter one, this time.

Let’s talk about some of the music that I’ve been tossing around my iPod.

Star Trek: Music from the Motion Picture – Michael Giacchino

When I first saw Star Trek I was impressed by some of the score. The opening scene, which was very emotional for me, actually had a point where all other sound was removed entirely to bring forth the beauty of the orchestral theme (track: "Labor of Love"). At other points, the music was sweeping and triumphant. Now, this is not to say I consider the score on par with the Star Trek movie themes of James Horner and Cliff Eidelman (Star Trek II and VI, respectively), but for an emotional movie, it delivers.

The Fame – Lady GaGa

This is a sexy, pop indulgence. When I see Lady GaGa’s videos, I am reminded of The Onion Movie’s Melissa Cherry, a notoriously oversexed parody of Britney Spears. This kind of music makes me want to open up my collection of sexy lingerie and model it all. I like her voice, and the music is simply fun to listen to—great girly, party music. This stuff might be appropriate for the upcoming bachelorette party I’m supposed to be planning… Songs like “Boys, Boys, Boys” and “Lovegame” would be fun for such an occasion. And I think the music is about as exciting as the party will get. Although with Jessica drunk…

Django Reinhardt

I was first introduced to this man’s 1940’s gypsy jazz through the video game Bioshock (I rambled on about it in an earlier post). A few of his songs were featured as ambient music in the game, giving it a period feel. One of them, which I quickly fell in love with, was “La Mer (Beyond the Sea).” It’s a slow, languid, romantic piece that sort of lingers. The fast-paced song of his I really liked was “Minor Swing;” if I remembered any of that swing dancing stuff that several people tried to teach me, I’d love to grab a guy and start dancing away to that ditty. I’ve been listening to several other Django songs since I discovered his stuff.

The Lonely Island

Saturday Night Live’s comic musical group. They’re absolutely hysterical. Most people know them for the infamous (and hilarious) “Dick in a Box.” Rather than an album of their songs, I actually chose to buy one of their music videos, “Jizz in my Pants.” The whole thing’s a brilliant parody of European techno. It’s worth watching on YouTube. I myself now have it on my iPod, so I can watch the story of poor men who jizz too soon unfold musically.
And really... It's just too funny NOT to link to. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment