Sunday, March 22, 2009

Urban Fantasizing

As things currently stand, I have little to no social life. Much of that vacuum has been filled with reading. So I figured it’s about damned time I made a book post.You see, I’ve been on an urban fantasy kick recently. When I stop to pick up regular fantasy novels, they seem dull by comparison. Maybe I like the thriller/mystery angle that is put on most of them. Who knows. I did finish my first Agatha Christie mystery a few days ago ("Murder on the Orient Express") and loved it—if I try more straight-up mystery, I’ll let you know how that turns out. But lately, urban fantasy has really been the genre for me.

I don’t think I’ll talk about Neil Gaiman just yet. Not until I’ve read “American Gods.” I started it once, but it began too slowly, and my life was too fast, and for some reason, I simply put it down out of disinterest. I hate telling Gaiman fans that. They all look at me with the same shocked, heartbroken expression on their face, as if I was a terminally ill child who had rejected medical treatment and instead chosen to sacrifice a small goat.

So let’s just take a look at the books I’ve plunged headfirst into.

Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake Series


Okay… I think we briefly addressed this issue earlier. I gave a rather grisly summary of one of the more recent situations in the series, thus degrading it to “lycanthropic/vampiric porn” status. But really, you don’t have to be privy to all this debauchery. The first few books are quite good. We follow tough-as-nails Anita Blake in her little animator business (and I’m not talking about Pixar, here) as well as her role as the “Executioner.” Similarly, we get a taste of vampire politics in a world that is trying to shift to accommodate these creatures and the paranormal. It’s interesting, has a noir-esque aftertaste, and has a charm that deteriorates completely as soon as the sex is over-amplified. So read the first few books if you want a taste. Then get out with your sanity roughly intact.

Tanya Huff’s Blood Books


This one came well before Anita Blake and features Vicki “Victory” Nelson, an ex-cop turned private investigator. She is unwillingly entangled in the supernatural by eventually befriending (and partnering up with) a vampire. Additionally, she has to deal with an eye disease, ex-husband slash ex-partner, and handful of paranormal cases that she reluctantly takes up. Kudos for Huff on her vampire character; Henry Fitzroy is an actual historical character, and she actually took the time to find out that there are mysterious circumstances surrounding his death. Nice touch.If Anita Blake is champagne, the Blood Books are fine wine. Much better focus on character development while still satisfying readers with a mystery to be solved. I highly recommend these books.


As for the TV series, it was deliciously snarky, but it quickly became obvious that it produced by the Lifetime channel. They amped up the love triangle and didn’t seem to know what to do for storyline sometimes. Oh, well. Henry was totally hot, though. Seriously. Normally I’m not into the pretty boys, but…rowr.












Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files


I think I’ve been recommending this about as frequently as I breathe. Harry Dresden, a wizard in modern-day Chicago, is featured in the yellow pages. While this may sound like some sort of party gig in real life, it is, in fact, the premise for a great urban fantasy series. Butcher really spins out a whimsical world of magic that exists alongside ours, complete with politics, demons, monsters, fairies, and just about everything in between. But most importantly, it’s told through the eyes of the ever-cynical Dresden, whose sharp wit and wisecracks are pretty much the only thing that are keeping him sane. His misadventures are fast-paced and full of interesting characters that continue to develop. I look forward eagerly to the new book next month.

This is a series you really need to try.


Sadly, the TV series eliminated many of the character features that gave them that delightful spunk that we all liked. I suppose that’s one reason it was canceled—too watered-down for viewers to really sink their teeth into. Still, the episodes are enjoyable to watch, and if you can catch them on Hulu, they’re worth tuning into.

And Dresden? Less hot than Henry Fitzroy. But that’s okay. His charm made up for it. Could use a smidge of grooming, though. I mean, sure, he was a bachelor, but Christ. Does he lose his razor often? Or perhaps forget to use it? Just sayin’, is all…








Simon R. Green’s Nightside

You know, what I’ve always loved about urban fantasy is actually the initial feeling—an “Alice in Wonderland” aspect. For Green’s Nightside, take Alice, throw her down into the rabbit hole into a place where it’s always night, gods and monsters roam about the street, magic is everywhere, everything is available at any price, and no-one can be trusted.

Sort of like American McGee’s Alice, maybe. She should definitely be armed in this Wonderland.

The Nightside is the alternate, dark version of London, and exists as separate world. Private investigator John Taylor works in that world, and he has a magical talent and a horrible reputation. I am eagerly devouring these books. Every one is like a new tour of the Nightside. From 60s ghost cafes to unholy power plants to moving sedan chairs operated by poltergeists, everything in this place is so imaginative that you can’t help but be drawn into the macabre world that Green weaves. I am, anyway. In fact, I’m quite addicted. I’ve downed the first three books quite quickly and am ready for more. The world is so colorful in places that it borders on the absurdly satirical, which is probably why I like it and why Alice in Wonderland is the best parallel. So you might like these books.


Well… That’s going to be all I’ll rant about in that subject. If you folks know of any other good urban fantasy I should seek out, let me know. I’m practically binge-reading the stuff. I’m not sure what binge-reading is, actually. I know it doesn’t have unpleasant aftereffects on the digestive system, however, which is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment